Sunday, October 23, 2011

When Lizards Attack

I was just minding my own business when a gigantic ferocious Australian lizard leaped out of nowhere, grabbed my arm, bit my finger clean off, then began dragging me by the neck off to its lair!!!  Fortunately Yvonne came out with a shotgun and blew its head off just in time!!!

That's the kind of blog post that my readers have come to expect.  What really happened varies slightly from the fictionalized account.

I was cleaning up the back patio and disturbed the tiny, shy lizard's hiding spot.  I cornered him in a plastic tub from which he was unable to escape, and picked him up to get a look at him.


AND THEN HE BIT ME!  Yes, that part is technically true, I got a microscopic nip on the finger that I could almost feel.


The tiny docile gecko then slinked up my arm and onto my shoulder just as Yvonne came out of the house and shot it several times.

With the camera, of course!


Then we let it go. Australia isn't always as exciting as it is made out to be in the media and on certain internet sites.  And thank goodness for that.








.

1 comment:

  1. The geckos we had in the Philippines, which were everywhere, actually chirped. There was an older American couple there who was convinced that there was a bird trapped in their house. I told them it was the lizards that were chirping, but they said 'hogwash.' Then a month later they said, "You know, I think those lizards are actually chirping." Duh. Anyway, they (the geckos) were great to have around because they ate all the mosquitoes. Well, not all of them, but it helped.

    ReplyDelete