Saturday, September 17, 2011

I Remain Unconcerned

I only looked up because of the noises caused by this behemoth crashing into things while flying around the Shed.  I am TRYING to read, if you don't mind!  The noise didn't stop, so with a sigh of exasperation I got up, found a jar, caught the thing, and popped it in the freezer.  Then I went back to my book, "The Nutmeg of Consolation."

A chapter later, I remembered the bug.  Oops.


It had a lot more fur than I feel is strictly necessary, a hard shell, and far too many sharp barbs on its legs.  It was also about the size of my thumb.

The human mind has the ability to magnify things according to how unpleasantly they are behaving.  This means that if this bug were buzzing around your living room, it will appear to be the size of a tennis ball.  If your wife sees it in the kitchen, she will observe it to be the size of a grapefruit.  In the bathroom, it will appear to be about the size of a basketball.  

Resting on your pillow, it actually dwarfs a Labrador.  And is twice as hairy.

But in the Shed it's just another Australian bug.  Albeit one of the larger ones I have personally been brave enough to touch, even when frozen solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment